I'm having some issues with a newly deployed CSM SSLM. We are conducting performance testing and I amd seeing very slow response times. I have adjusted the "delayed-ack-timeout" to 50 from 200 seconds and turned "OFF" Nagle. This has seemed to help tremendously but things are still off. What other variables can I adjust to improve performance? Has anyone had any similar issues before? I am running SSLM 3.1.(1) and CSM 4.1.(6) both Safe Harbor Releases. Bellow are some performace numbers gathered from Silk testing.
Ok just an update in case anyone is following this. We also set the ssl-policy, close-protocol to "none" and looks like this did the trick. Much thank yous to Antonios Dakopoulos from Cisco TAC for the assitance in getting this issue resolved. Giles thank you also for all your help and expertise!!!
The unmanaged mode is also known as Network only switching, which is introduced in Brazos release. It adds the flexibility for customer to use only network automation for service appliance.
If a device is configured a...
Usually, we can access ESXi Shell by pressing Alt+F1 from ESXi DCUI (Direct Console User Interface).
But on HyperFlex system, it just shows black window.
This is expected behavior because HyperFlex redirects ESXi Shell output to SoL...
Configuring an Export Policy Using the GUI
This procedure explains how to configure an Export policy using the APIC GUI. Follow these steps to trigger a backup of your data:
On the menu bar, choose Admi...