Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS 11500 booting only to Offline DM mode

trevorj
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I setup a new CSS 11500 this morning, going through the steps of setting up the administrator password, IP address for the management console etc, but when continuing the CSS went straight to the offline DM menu. Now rebooting the unit it clears all the tests, loads the operational flash but continues to go straight to the DM menu regardless whether you press <y> or not at the prompt.

I also tried connecting via telnet to the management console but get connection refused.

Any ideas on why the CSS boots only to the DM menu?

Thanks in advance,

- Trevor

7 Replies 7

trevorj
Level 1
Level 1

I was just searching through the forum here to see if anyone else had the same problem and found one post where someone said to make sure there is a flash card inserted. Were we supposed to recieved a flash card with the unit? I checked and there is no pcmcia cards.

- Trevor

Trevor,

once if offdm, attached a laptop with FTP Server on it on the management port.

Then from offdm, you can configure the CSS to boot from FTP server.

Once the box is up and running again, make sure you have an image on disk.

Finally, you don't need a PCMCIA flash and no you should no have received one.

Regards,

Gilles.

Gilles,

I take it I need to download the image file from cisco to put onto the machine acting as ftp server?

Also, I have the ftp server and management console connected together via switch which should be ok?

Cheers,

- Trevor

Trevor,

if you are connected via a switch. make sure you have spanning-tree disable or the boot will fail because the port will not be in forwarding when the CSS attempts the download.

Gilles.

Gilles,

No probs. Do I need to download the software image from cisco? I tried earlier to download the software image for this css 11500 but got refused.

And thanks for helping me on this one. I am familiar with the Pix but this is the first time I've played with a content switch.

Cheers,

- Trevor

Trevor,

if you do not have an image yet, you will have to download for Cisco. I don't know any other place where you could download it from.

If you are refused, it could be because you have to sign the cryptographic access document.

If this is the case, you should have a link to this document when you get refused.

Regards,

Gilles.

Hi,

The problem was solved. The next day we recieved the microdrive so I was able to setup the CSS. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it :) I did get level3 load balancing working between two servers so now to get failover setup.

Thanks for your help on this one, turns out it was a missing microdrive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: