Helpful
Replies

CSS - Converting an interface from bridge vlan to trunk

a.veschak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

My questions is twofold...

1.) Is it possible to suspend/activate multiple groups with a single command rather than going into each group individually and suspending/activating them one at a time?

2.) Is it possible to convert an interface from bridge vlan to trunk without losing the existing circuit vlan originally associated with that interface?

BACKGROUND: CSS11506 is running WebNS sg0750205 (07.50.2.05). Here's what we experienced during our attempt to convert an interface from bridge vlan to a trunk...

The existing config was this...

!

interface 1/2

bridge vlan 302

no shut

exit

!

When we attempted to change this interface to a trunk, this was our proposed config...

!

interface 1/2

shut

no bridge vlan

trunk

vlan 302

vlan 303

no shut

exit

!

However, we received the following error message when attempting to issue the "no bridge vlan" command...

CSS11506(config-if[ 1/2])# no bridge vlan

%% Active redundant-vips on vlan. Suspend source group with redundant vip.

This forced us to suspend all source groups under this interface before we could proceed with the rest of our config... hence my question #1 above.

After we suspended all the source groups under this interface, we were able to proceed with the rest of our config and convert the interface to a trunk. We then configured our new circuit VLAN303 as follows...

!

circuit VLAN303

description "Private LB subnet"

ip address 172.16.35.2 /24

exit

exit

!

Finally, we re-activated all of the groups we previously had to suspend. All was well... but when we viewed our final config, we noticed that our pre-existing circuit VLAN302 that existed before we converted the interface to a trunk was completely removed from the config... which leads me to my question #2 above.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Adam,

Actually it is expected, due that you cannot configure a CIRCUIT VLAN without having that vlan associated with an interface first. So if you remove the vlan from the interface, the CIRCUIT VLAN would be removed from the configuration as well. Thanks!

Regards,

Jose.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

joquesada
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Unfortunately, when you need to suspend/activate multiple groups, you need to do it one by one, there is no way to do it with a single command.

In regards to your second question, what occured to you while configuring the trunk on the interface is expected; the original vlan associated with that interface needs to be added again when you create the trunk. Thanks!

Regards,

Jose.

Jose,

Thanks for the reply. However, I want to clarify my second question... I'm not concerened so much with the fact that I had to reconfigure my original VLAN 302 again under the new trunk... my concern is that the CIRCUIT VLAN 302 got blown away in the process and I had to reconfigure that again as well. Is this to be expected?

Thanks,

-Adam

Hi Adam,

Actually it is expected, due that you cannot configure a CIRCUIT VLAN without having that vlan associated with an interface first. So if you remove the vlan from the interface, the CIRCUIT VLAN would be removed from the configuration as well. Thanks!

Regards,

Jose.