Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CSS Even and Odd VLANS

On the Catalyst 5000 architecture, all Even VLANs are running on one BUS on the backplane and all the odd VLANs are running on the other BUS on the backplane. Is CSS work in the same way? Hence, is it going to be a problem if I have all Even VLANs or all Odd VLANs?

Thanks,

/david

• Application Networking
2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: CSS Even and Odd VLANS

David,

The CSS does not work in this manner so your vlans can be odd or even and have not effect on the css. The only thing to keep in mind is that ever 4 ports, 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc.. are on separate EPIFs. So when doing network planning, you may want to consider separating connections.

For example, if you are only using a few ports on a CS150, it would be beneficial to use ports 1,5 and 9 as they are all on different EPIFs.

Regards

Pete Knoops

Cisco Systems

Re: CSS Even and Odd VLANS

Pete,

Thanks for your reply. Curious, if I have a 2 port Gigabit card on CSS11506, will I have 1 XPIF or 2 XPIFs?

Also, does slot matter? That is, can I use any slot I want without worrying about performance?

Thanks

/david

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.