cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

css persistence, flows, sticky, etc....

d.alves
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to understand the differences and similarities of persistence, flows and sticky. The documentation on this subject is not very helpful. Can someone out there provide a simple explanation of these three very important concepts?

Thanks in advance!!

5 Replies 5

d.parks
Level 1
Level 1

Here's my interpretation:

Persistence: This setting determines whether or not the CSS will allow persistent HTTP connections. i.e. will a browser be allowed to maintain a single TCP connection for multiple requests, or will it be required to open an individual TCP connection for each bit of content. In web-server speak, this is sometimes referred to as "keepalive"

Flows: A flow is CSS speak for a TCP connection. Once a flow is established, an FTP connection for example, the CSS will maintain that flow for the duration of the connection. The CSS will not loadbalance traffic "mid-flow" except under unique circumstances, when a service goes down and remap is configured for example.

Sticky: The various sticky configurations come in to play when you want to have all connections from a particular client go to a particular service. This is most often accomplished with cookies, or sticky tables which track a clients' IP addresses. There is a limit to the size of the IP address table, so cookies scale better for web content.

HI,

a bit more in detail regarding persistency.

In HTTP 1.1 there are multiple gets per HTTP-Session so if you use persistency all requests in the HTTP-Session will hit the same server. This denies the possibility to offload content (e.g. JPGs) to a cache. If you do not use persistency you split the HTTP1.1 session in multiple HTTP-Sessions on the CSS.

Hope that helps in regards of persistency.

Regards,

Joerg

This was a big help to me regarding my understanding of persistency. Thanks!!

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

HI Davon,

glad to hear that.

Please close this posting so that anyone sees that this issue has a "solution" and if you want to, feel free to rate the postings.

Kind Regards,

Joerg