Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CSS version upgrade question

I have a question regarding the code on the CSS 11050 switches. I have to replace a defective CSS with another one. The defective CSS acted as a redundant one to its primary. I had to upgrade the software on the replacement CSS, but when I do a show version there is one section that does not match the output from the primary.

New secondary switch:

Version: ap0610004 (6.10 Build 4)

Flash (Locked): 5.00 Build 63

Flash (Operational): 6.10 Build 4

Type: PRIMARY

Licensed Cmd Set(s): Standard Feature Set

Primary CSS:

Version: ap0610004 (6.10 Build 4)

Flash (Locked): 4.01 Build 32

Flash (Operational): 6.10 Build 4

Type: PRIMARY

Licensed Cmd Set(s): Standard Feature Set

Not sure what the flash (locked) is but that is the only part that differs from the primary production CSS. Can someone explain what all this is and if the new secondary will work with the primary with the code on it?

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: CSS version upgrade question

flash locked is the os which was installed in the factory. So it is the os which was on the box when cisco shipped it. btw the box can store multiple os's and one of them will be the flash locked as it is not the operational in your case it will not lead to problems.

Cisco Employee

Thanks for the info and the link. I have one more question. I copied the config off the bad unit to our FTP server using the copy ftp command. I then brought it down on the replacement unit, which had been in a lab environemnt with its own config. However, not all the config overwrote the lab config. I did a copy startup-config running-config once I FTP'd the old config down onto the new unit. Do I need to manually recreate this config? Is there a way to copy all the config, including the management address config, over to the replacement unit without having to redo it from scratch? I'm not real familiar with configuring them and I want to make sure there isn't some underlying config that is not visible with the "show run" command.

Cisco Employee

you have to the clear the running config first before copying the startup.

Gilles.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content