ip address 172.10.10.102 255.255.255.0
    ip virtual-router 1 priority 101 preempt

ip redundant-vip 1 172.10.10.1
    ip critical-service 1 up_down_stream
    no redirects

!

Here is my connection:

CSS-1 <=> Switch <=> CSS-2

They were working fine before but CSS-2 suddenly change to master few days ago. I have already checked the connection between these two CSSs and it seems ok, so I tried to capture the packet trace both for the ports connected to CSS-1 and CSS-2 from the switch. And finally I found that I can see the vrrp adv. message which send from CSS-2 at the port which is monitoring CSS-1, but there is no vrrp adv. message send from CSS-1. I am not sure the problem is related to the acl as it has configured to permit any any:

clause 254 permit any any destination any

Could anyone can help me in this case? Is the problem related to the keyword "preempt" in CSS-2? Is it a software bugs which hasn't listed in cisco bug list (SW Version: 6.10)?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your CSS had been up and running for a long time, check ddts CSCek37489.

Make sure to run version ap0610418s or higher.

Gilles.

craig_mc_12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if this you've resolved this problem; however, from what I have read you should never configure the preempt option on the same virtual router on both CSSs.

The issue of both CSSs becoming master when using the preempt option is highlighted in this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11000series/v5.00/command/reference/CmdCirIP.html#wp1027189

I have used the preempt option to failover to the backup CSS in the past; however, to achieve this the preempt option had to be removed from the existing master.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

C

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: