Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CSS11500 named kals

I have over 100 servers that I want to do tcp-close fin against - all obviously on different ip addresses. Some on tcp/X and some on tcp/Y. So I have broken the limit on tcp-close fin config.

I thought of using two global kals that can check each port as required with port X/Y, type tcp, tcp-close fin etc.

The manual implies that a global kal can be used for multiple services but the problem is that you have to set an IP address on the kal. That would mean that I still have to set up over 100 named kals and would still exceed the limit.

Does this mean the manual is misleading - i.e I still have to set up a keepalive per server ip address or is there something I'm missing ?

A sample config would be nice showing how two services on diff ips can use the same global kal.

Rgds

Global keepalives still need an ip configured.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: CSS11500 named kals

yes, the global keepalives still need an ip address configured.

This is still a keepalive, so you still require to configure at least an ip address.

The idea is if you want to have multiple services using a single ip but different ports and use icmp keepalive. Instead of using 1 keepalive for each service, you use 1 global keepalive for all of them. The goal is to reduce the amount of traffic and time processing.

So, in your case, you still need to send more than 100 keepalives. Therefore the limitation of max 100 tcp-close fin will always be there.

If the limit is there, this is to preserve the system and not to bother users.

Gilles.

3 REPLIES

Thought I'd answer my own question in case anyone searches for this.

No - the global has the ip address so need one per "service" although can do to one server that runs multiple services on the same port - maybe due to different vips using different services but to same server

Or the global checks a background function that takes a group out when it fails e.g. set of webservers failed by failure of a database or fileserver.

Cisco Employee

yes, the global keepalives still need an ip address configured.

This is still a keepalive, so you still require to configure at least an ip address.

The idea is if you want to have multiple services using a single ip but different ports and use icmp keepalive. Instead of using 1 keepalive for each service, you use 1 global keepalive for all of them. The goal is to reduce the amount of traffic and time processing.

So, in your case, you still need to send more than 100 keepalives. Therefore the limitation of max 100 tcp-close fin will always be there.

If the limit is there, this is to preserve the system and not to bother users.

Gilles.

Thanks Gilles

Views
Helpful
Replies