Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS11501 load-balancing IPv6 services

vanderwaalr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm new to content networking and load-balancing.

I am setting up a new nameserver network site and have the following equipment:

- Cisco 2811

- Cicso CSS11501

- Cisco Catalyst 2960

This site will have 2 nameservers which I want to load-balance behind the CSS11501. The network will be setup like this:

Internet

|

Cisco 2811

|

CSS11501

|

Cisco 2960

|

Nameservers 1 & 2

The CSS11501 will be in routed mode and will have a publicly addressed VIP (eg, 203.x.x.x) for the DNS service and the name servers will be privately addressed (eg, 10.x.x.10 & 10.x.x.11). I'm hoping this will work fine and serve the requested IPv4 DNS requests.

I would like the nameservers to also operate on IPv6 and serve out IPv6 DNS requests but am not sure the CSS11501 can perform IPv6 service load-balancing.

My question is, does the CSS11501 support IPv6, load-balancing IPv6 service requests?

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard,

The ACE module should have the same feature of the CSM and more [SSL, Firewall inspection, ...] including IPv6.

However, the ACE hardware is ipv6 ready and the code is ipv6 aware. However, the module does not support yet ipv6. The support for ipv6 on this module should come in the future.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Richard,

the CSS does not support and will not support IPv6.

The new Cisco loadbalancer called ACE is the device we selected to support ipv6.

Gilles.

Gilles,

Thanks for the reply.

On another site I was looking at rolling out a Catalyst 6500 CSM module to do the exact same thing as the site I have the CSS11501's at, but it too does not support IPv6 from all I could find. Does the ACE provide all the functionality of the CSM plus IPv6?

Thanks.

Richard.

Richard,

The ACE module should have the same feature of the CSM and more [SSL, Firewall inspection, ...] including IPv6.

However, the ACE hardware is ipv6 ready and the code is ipv6 aware. However, the module does not support yet ipv6. The support for ipv6 on this module should come in the future.

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: