Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Design question for Disaster Recovery

Hi,

One of my customer needs a Disaster Recovery Solution for following scenario:

- Primary Data Center is at SITE A, and the Backup Data Center is at SITE B.

- Clients are located at multiple other branch offices.

- Interconnectivity b/w all sites is on MPLS VPN. All sites have point-to-point connection to MPLS cloud.

- SITE A connects to MPLS cloud using dual 7206VXR routers. Each 7206 has dual E3 links. SITE B also has similary scenario.

- Branch Offices connect to MPLS cloud using single 2800 router. Each 2800 has single E1 link.

- Traffic is IP only.

The customer wants to do this:

1. If SITE A is up and SERVER A is down, the client to server traffic should be redirected towards SERVER B at SITE B. When Server A becomes available again, traffic should be redirected back to Server A.

2. If SITE A is down (obviously SERVER A will also become unavailable) the traffic should again be redirected towards SERVER B at SITE B. When SITE A becomes available again, traffic should be redirected back to Server A.

Can anyone help?

regards,

• Application Networking
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Design question for Disaster Recovery

for point 2/, since site A is down, site A can't redirect the client to site B.

Therefore, the redirect must come from a separate device.

I would suggest a GSS [global site selector].

The CSS will monitor site A and site B and responds to dns request to forward client to either A or B.

For point 1/, you will need a CSS to perform the monitoring of the servers and to redirect client to the other side.

This is easily done with the primarysorryserver function.

In conclusion, you would need a GSS placed in a central location and 1 [or 2] CSS for each location.

Regards,

Gilles.

Hi Gilles,

Actually the customer wants to do achieve his target with minimum investment. I already gave him a solution based on GSS and CSS, but he is not willing to go for it due to cost.

What I have in mind is to utilize IOS SLB feature in 7200's. I will advertise a single Virtual Server IP from SITE A and SITE B, with SITE A having a smaller metric. Theoritically, I believe it should work. What do you think?

regards,

Cisco Employee

yes, it should work like this.

Good idea.

Gilles.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.