cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Doubt between Original Traffic and Optimized Traffic

dnobrega
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about the information displayed on the Traffic Summary Report.

Can any one explain to me how the Optimized Traffic value can be major than the Original Traffic value???

Thank you for assistance,

Diego

3 Replies 3

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Diego,

From your stats, it definitely looks like you are running encrypted traffic through compression and DRE is adding the 5 byte signatures to all the packets going through the compression engine. Due to encryption, there is no repeating patterns in the payloads.

I would do the following...

1. Take the traffic and create a TFO only policy for it and add it to the top of your list so you are not wasting CPU cycles on attempting to perform compression.

2. Disable encryption/compression on the traffic you are targeting and let WAAS perform it's optimizations on it.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Dan - Are your two suggestions an either/or - either do #1, or do #2? Or are you saying to do both - create a TFO only policy and disable encryption of the traffic?

Jim,

I would do either, sorry about not making that more clear.

My preferences would be to disable encryption. If there is a security reason as to why this can't be done, I would then stop running it through full optimization (TFO, LZ, DRE) as it just wastes processing time and DRE disk space. Changing the policy to TFO only allows you to still get the TCP optimization.

Hope that clears it up.

Dan