Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling WCCP at the Data Center for traffic redirection

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hello all !! Hope all is well !!

I have a couple WCCP for WAAS questions and hope someone can help !!!

I have two WAE's (forgot what model are) at the data center, one configured as a Central Manager and the other configured as an accelerator, both are online and I can see them in the WAAS Central Manager. My next step is to enable WCCP to redirect traffic to the WAE for optimization but not sure where in the network to enable WCCP. At the Data Center I have a 6509 with MSFC and two routers connecting to my MPLS WAN (dual WAN), the MSFC is doing inter-VLAN routing and I do have a separate VLAN for my server farm and the WAAS Central Manager and WAAS accelerator are also in a separate VLAN. My question is where do I enable WCCP for traffic leaving the data center and traffic entering the data center ? Do I do it at the routers or at the MSFC ?

Thanks in advance !! I appreciate any inputs/suggestions !!!

Danny

P.S. I am also looking into configuring a WAE module on a 3825 router and not sure where to begin on this. Any help on this will be highly appreciated !!!

4 Replies 4

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

Danny,

Enable IP wccp 62 redirect in on the vlan interfaces that connect to your MPLS routers.

Enable IP wccp 61 redirect in on the server vlan interface that contains the servers.

make sure to enable L2 redirection on the WAE using the Mask option. Mask will be accelerated in hardware as opposed to hash option in software.

I am attaching the WAAS 4.1 quick configuration guide for your review

Sample config:

version 12.2

!

hostname Cat6k

!

!

ip wccp 61

ip wccp 62

!

!

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/1

description "To Cisco WAE Appliance"

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

switchport access vlan 11

!

!

!

!

interface VLAN 10

description "To WAN Routers"

ip address 172.16.223.1 255.255.255.0

ip wccp 62 redirect in

!

!

!

!

!

interface VLAN 100

description "To Data Center"

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

ip wccp 61 redirect in

!

end

VLAN 10 is the WAN router VLAN in this example.

VLAN 11 is the WAE VLAN in this example

VLAN 100 is the VLAN in which the data center nodes are attached in this example (servers, workstations)

Enable the TCP promiscuous service groups (61 and 62) using these commands

The WAE appliance is connected to this interface. Note that redirect exclude statements are not required, as ingress redirection is used in this configuration, and egress redirection is not.

This VLAN interface is the gateway for the WAN routers to route traffic into the data center nodes. Any traffic entering this interface should be redirected to a WAE that has registered in service group 62. Alternatively, should only one WAN router be deployed, this configuration could be applied on the switchport that the WAN router is attached to.

This VLAN interface is the gateway for the DataCenter servers and workstations to reach other VLANs and the WAN. This interface serves as a default gateway for those devices. Any traffic received on this interface should be redirected to a WAE device that has registered in service group 61

! WAAS version 4.

!

device mode application-accelerator

!

hostname WAE

!

primary-interface GigabitEthernet 1/0

!

!

interface GigabitEthernet 1/0

ip address 1.1.1.250 255.255.255.0

exit

interface GigabitEthernet 2/0

shutdown

exit

!

ip default-gateway 1.1.1.1

!

!

!

wccp version 2

wccp router-list 1 1.1.1.1

wccp tcp-promiscuous router-list-num 1 l2-redirect mask-assign

! wccp slow-start is disabled in WAAS by default

!

!

cdm ip 10.10.10.10

cms enable

!

policy-engine application

Hello Robert,

Your response is extremely helpful and I appreciate it very much !!! I have a couple more questions that I would like to ask you.

- For the IP WCCP service 61 and 62. Do you enable these services on the SP side or RP side of the cat6k ? My 6509 is running hybrid mode (CAT OS on SP side and IOS MSFC)

- I have about 20 remote locations but I'll be deploying WAAS to only 5 locations. What will happen to the traffic destine for locations that don't have a WAE device installed ? should I be using redirect-list to only optimize traffic where there is a WAE device installed ?

Thanks a million Robert !!!

Danny

Denny

Enable in global on the RP.

make sure you are running minimum required IOS:

Catalyst 3560/3750 12.2(37)SE

Catalyst 4500/4948 12.2(31)SG

Catalyst 6500 (Sup2) 12.1(13)E

Catalyst 6500 (Sup32/Sup720) 12.2(18)SXD1

Hello Robert,

I have another question for you. I have dual routers and dual WAN links at all remote sites and I have traffic load balance between the two WAN links. Do you think a single WAE module will work in this scenario ? I am thinking putting in a single WAE module in one of the routers and redirect traffic from both routers to it but not sure if that would work. Please let me know what you think !!!

Thank you very much !!!

Danny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: