cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Excluding/Blocking File Types - WAAS 4.1

richianaj
Level 1
Level 1

How do you exclude file types in the 4.1 software of being optimized, I'm sure this feature was available in the prior versions.

Thanks

Richard

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard,

It completely blocked the access to the files via CIFS with WAAS. The only way to get around it should have been to use HTTP/FTP or some other protocol which didn't use the WAFS adapter. This is why implementing it on the Origin server was usually done instead of in WAAS.

Dan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

File blocking has been removed in 4.1. You are correct, it was available in 4.0. I have found that most customers have been using global settings on file servers to accomplish this for users with and without WAAS, so that may be why it was dropped.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Dan, thanks for your response. Didn't the blocking just stop the file type from being optimized, not actually stop the file being uploaded/downloaded between sites. I found this useful, for example, when users want to download a already compressed file (.zip for example), it actually increases in size with the WAE devices, I was planning to use file type blocking to ensure that the WAEs left these files alone.

Regards,

Richard

Richard,

It completely blocked the access to the files via CIFS with WAAS. The only way to get around it should have been to use HTTP/FTP or some other protocol which didn't use the WAFS adapter. This is why implementing it on the Origin server was usually done instead of in WAAS.

Dan

OK, thanks for the clarity.

Richard

So is there a way to configure WAAS 4.1 to not optimize certain file types like .zip? I'm still a little confused with this thread.

Currently, there is not. What we were referring to is in 4.0, we used to be able to block user access to files (*.mp3, etc.) via WAAS. However most companies prefer to control that type of restrictions on the origin server, thus restricting everyone using the file server, not just those who are accelerated via WAAS.

Hope that clears it up,

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: