Views
Helpful
Replies

failover when link fails

followurself
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Giles,

i was reading conver in the forum regarding GSLB..is GSLB only failover for servers? few days back we raised a question to our isp to provide us BGP failover. they too mentioned abt gslb but i wasnt convinced. wht we want

ISP 1---site 1---css1-- Pri web servers

ISP 2---site 2---css2---sec web servers

as i understand when the requests comes to css1 (assuming gslb is configured between css1 and css2) it acts like dns and send the traffic to pri web servers...so theres some comunication between css1 and pri webserves ..some kind of keepalive..for request to come in to css1 , my link with isp1 or the path to isp1 on the internet shd be available...my question is , wht if the link to isp 1 fails, or isp 1 is not available over the internet, how will the requests get routed via isp2 to css 2 and then sec web servers..wht kind of intelligence will make it happen..BGP is implemented to do failover ISP's, will GLSB help in doing the same

1 Reply 1

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

GSLB is to failover between sites.

So, when having 2 datacenters offering the same service, you can use GSLB between the 2 for failover.

However, for a while now, we do not recommend doing gslb on the css or csm directly.

We offer a GSS platform that offers much more in regards of GSLB than the CSS.

The GSS is used in addition with existing CSS/CSM.

Gilles.