Views
Helpful
Replies

FWLB Mac Sticky

jcarvalh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Anyone can tell me if mac-sticky builds a mac table per interface or is it global?

I am asking this because I have my ACE connected to several interfaces of a firewall and all interfaces of the firewall have the same mac address.

So if mac sticky works per interface I will have no problem.

One other question, when doing FWLB with catch all VIPs (on all interfaces) does the ACE load balances all traffic (based on the predictor) or the response is sent to the correct interface because of the mac-sticky?

Thanks in advance,

Joao

1 Reply 1

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

mac-sticky associates the session with the upstream MAC address that the session came to the ACE on versus using the default gateway. So, if a session comes in from MAC-B and the default gateway is MAC-A, then the ACE 'remembers' to send the return traffic to MAC-B instead of just relying on the default gateway ARP of A. Returning it to the originating upstream MAC address has precedence over routing functions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: