Views
Helpful
Replies

GSS and DRP agents for proximity

douhanm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We are deploying GSS boxes to achieve global load balancing and I would like to use DRP agents in order to scale the solution properly and I have a few questions.

1. What is the recommended HW platform for the DRP agent and should it be a dedicated box or can I enable DRP on my Internet routers for example?

2. What if Used something like adedicated 800 series router as a DRP agent in every hosting location would this work ?

3. WIch of 1 and 2 is the preferred method or is there another best practise solution I should use?

There is not so much docs around about the GSS so any help is greatly helpful.

rgds

Matt

2 Replies 2

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

Cisco protocol development efforts have given it a clear advantage in content routing applications. DFP provides Cisco solutions server and application metrics for better load-balancing decisions and the resulting increased availability and system capacity. DRP allows global load-balancing devices to share BGP and IGP routing information for optimal global load-balancing performance. Lastly, WCCP enables the seamless integration of Web cache redirection with significant benefits over traditional Layer 4-based cache redirection. These protocols allow distinct network elements to communicate and act in unison as a load-balancing system to provide levels of performance that cannot be matched by individual point products

From the "Cisco-Supported Hardware and Software Compatiblity" section of the

GSS 1.2(2) Release notes:

For network proximity, use a Cisco IOS-based router that supports Director

Response Protocol (DRP) as the probing device in each proximity zone. DRP is

supported in the following Cisco IOS release trains: 12.1, 12.1E, 12.2T, 12.2,

12.3, and later releases. ICMP probing is only supported in Cisco IOS releases

12.2T, 12.3, and later releases.

The GSS operates with Cisco IOS-based routers using the following DRP RTT

probing methods: TCP ("DRP Server Agent") and ICMP ("ICMP ECHO-based RTT

probing by DRP agents"). "DRP Server Agent" and "ICMP ECHO-based RTT probing by

DRP agents" are the Cisco IOS feature names as shown in the Cisco Feature

Navigator.

I havent seen dedicated routers used for just GSS proximity. Usually drp agents are activated on running routers.

Syed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: