Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

GSS Proximity issue

Hello all,

i have the following scenario:

Our GSS is responsible for the following domain: www.abc.com

In the answer group for www.abc.com are three answers from different locations:

1 server located in America

1 server located in Asia

1 server located in Europe

In my DNS Rule, i setup 2 clauses:

The first clause with Proximity enabled + RR and TTL set at 30 (wait option is not enabled)

The second clause is configured without proximity as a "catchall" rule and TTL set at 50

Ideally, a client from America should hit the America's server based on the proximity rule. I do see that happening for most instances but i have a particular d-proxy(also located in America) that keeps returning the server in Asia as priority. The thing is based on the TTL configured, this particular d-proxy is always hitting the second DNS clause. (I do a dig to www.abc.com and see that the timer resets every 50seconds). So somehow, it is failing to use the first clause configured.

I know that proximity is not based on geolocation but rather on response time. The PDB Table is not really helping since it does not actually log the actual RTT and the only way is to turn on debugging to see its actual RTT. If this is a production box, will it be safe to turn debugging on since a gss restart command is required before debugging can be turned on.

Could it be that the DRP agent in America is not able to poll this particular d-proxy whereas the DRP agents in Asia and Europe can sucesfully poll this d-proxy? But then again, if the other DRP agents can successfully poll this d-proxy, i should see it hitting the first DNS clause and the TTL i should be seeing is 30.

Advice/suggestions needed!!

Everyone's tags (2)
Views
Helpful
Replies