cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GSS redundancy

tbui
Level 1
Level 1

We have two GSS installed, one is in Boston and one is in Virginia. One is GSSM Primary and the second is GSSM Standby.

The GSS documentation states that the switch-over from GSSM standby to primary is a manual process (with the CLI command "gssm standby-to-primary") in case the primary GSSM goes unexpectedly offline.

Is there really no possibility for the Standby GSSM to detect the failure of the Primary GSSM and automatically switch-over as Primary, like HSRP or VRRP ? or do they have some type of keep alive so the GSS standby can detect when the primary goes offline? I am confused.

Please help!

Thanks

4 Replies 4

goberfield
Level 1
Level 1

The primary/standby is only for configuration. If your primary fails your GSSes will continue to function normally. However, if you need to make configuration changes you'll have to make your standby unit the primary.

For more information see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/contnetw/ps4162/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801cc5e2.html#1152315

-Greg

Greg,thanks for a quick response.

Each web server at Boston and Virginia will have different ip address, then, the primary GSS fail, how the DNS query from user know to get to the secondary if the primary failed? that mean, I have to have the local DNS (let say this DNS server in CA) will point to 2 GSS at the same time?

home.cisco.com ---response to 10.1.1.1

home.cisco.com ---response to 10.10.1.1

if the first query fail the the local DNS will go the the second name record?

I am still confused. Please help

Primary/Seconday is for configuration only. If this is for internal DNS resolution then your hosts should have two DNS servers configured -- 10.1.1.1 and 10.10.1.1.

For external users, if you're using this to resolve DMZ resources your NIC records for your domains would list both public IP's for your devices.

Hope that helps. I think you're confusing Primary/Secondary nomenclature with the GSS with normal primary/secondary DNS usage.

-G

Greg,

Thanks again,

Here is what I am trying to do in our scenerio,

There are 2 web servers, 2 DNS server, one Web/DNS server is in VA and one Web/DNS server is in MA.

If the building in VA is down (including all network equipment, DNS, web server, GSS, routers) then, the GSS standby in MA will respone the DNS query from user in CA. which mean, the home.tla.com will never out of services. No GSLB involve.

1- I will configure the GSSM primary/GSSM Standby (These 2 GSS will have home.tla.com 10.1.1.1 and home.tla.com 10.10.1.1)

2- I need to set 2 GSS as a authoritative DNS server

3- 2 name records of home.tla.com will be set in GSS ?

Thanks for your help