cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

gss4480

chung-fu.wang
Level 1
Level 1

May I use the GSS4480 for load balance and data center disaster recovery without content switch?

How?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The GSS4480 only controls DNS response.

So, you could have multiple sites/servers sharing a common dns name ie: www.yourcompany.com

The GSS can loadbalance over the different sites by controlling the dns response sent to the clients.

The GSS uses keepalive to detect if a server is accessible before forwarding traffic to it.

It also offers stickyness.

The only problem is that a client usually never gets directly to the GSS. They will go through their local dns server.

So all the GSS sees is the local dns servers.

So you many not have the perfect loadbalancing.

Another problem is users caching the dns response.

If your site goes down, these users will have no access until the dns entry times out of the cache or it is manually removed.

A content switch also offers you better stickyness functionality, better loadbalancing functions (you can look at the url or any other http header info),...

Here is a link to the GSS capabilities.

Regards,

Gilles.

Thanks for your reply!

Because my lab equipments are not enough,I want client gets directly to the GSS4480 .How to configure the GSS4480 ?

We will use the 2 GSS4480 for disaster recovery of 2 datacenters.

Would you please recommend Lab architecture for 2 GSS4480 ?

Thanks !

Regards;

Guile

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: