cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you configure One arm load balancing with source nat only applied to a specific policy?

We have a pair of load balancers located at our datacentre configured in one arm mode. The existing configuration has no nat on the inbound client  (load balancing) vlan. As it stands, all the other real servers are on vlans trunked across to our core switch. However, in order to manage the source nat issue they created vlan interfaces on the ACE for each of the networks relevant to the real servers and they then configured Nat pools on those specific vlan interfaces to nat the traffic.

Problem I have is that I need to configure servers in server farms that do not sit on that switch or any of the vlans on that switch. The only way I can see to do this is to configure source nat on the inbound loadbalancing vlan. What I am worried about is impacting the existing nat configuration for the other applications, this should not apply globally. So I need to be sure that if I configure a nat pool on in the inbound interface that it will not impact any traffic other than the traffic going to the specific VIP,  the config for the nat would be defined under the class related to the specifc VIP in the policy map.

So can you please confirm:

Configuring a nat pool on a vlan interface will not nat all traffic coming to that interface, it will only nat traffic when you specify nat dynamic on the the relevant class (does not apply globally to policy). The relevant class in my case being the VIP you need to configure source nat on.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Cassandra,

Configuring  a nat pool on a vlan interface will not nat all traffic coming to that  interface, it will only nat traffic when you specify nat dynamic on the  the relevant class (does not apply globally to policy). The relevant  class in my case being the VIP you need to configure source nat on.

I can confirm this. Configuring a nat pool on it's own will not have any impact on the behavior of the device. It will only start natting after the "nat dynamic" command has been added and even in that case, it will only nat traffic that matches the class were it was configured.

I hope this helps

Daniel

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Cassandra,

Configuring  a nat pool on a vlan interface will not nat all traffic coming to that  interface, it will only nat traffic when you specify nat dynamic on the  the relevant class (does not apply globally to policy). The relevant  class in my case being the VIP you need to configure source nat on.

I can confirm this. Configuring a nat pool on it's own will not have any impact on the behavior of the device. It will only start natting after the "nat dynamic" command has been added and even in that case, it will only nat traffic that matches the class were it was configured.

I hope this helps

Daniel