Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Configure Transparent caching on Cat 6500 with CSM in routed mode

I am trying to configure Transparent caching on Cat 6500 with CSM in routed mode, but facing some problems in it , also I have gone thru the example config on cisco site for transparent caching using CSM on Cat 6500 , but the above does not fit my clients requirement.

The scenario is like

Access Switches - Cat6500 with MSFC & CSM - Internet Router

|

Cache Engines and Real servers

The clients as well as real servers are on seperate VLANs (L3) and the requirement is to load balance the internet traffic using cache engines.

I'd really appreciate any helpful suggestions or any useful links/docs/info on this.

Thanks

kumar

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: How to Configure Transparent caching on Cat 6500 with CSM in

Hello Joerg,

Thanks for the reply.

I have already gone thru the sample config shown by this weblink, however this link refers to configuring transparent caching on the CSM in BRIDGED MODE ( i.e both the client and server vlans are having the same IP address ) but in our case , we have multiple L3 VLANS on the CAT6509 having IP addresses in different SUBNETS , and the Real servers to be used for caching also exist on one of these VLANS. Thus, the scenario described by the Weblink does not apply here. Also , in the configuration referred by the above weblink, the VLAN 100 is configured as client , however the endusers are shown to be on vlan200 which is configured as SERVER VLAN in the CSM.

Dont you think there is something wrong here, I mean the endusers should be on VLAN 100 (Client) and real servers on VLAN 200 (SERVER).

So, I have to configure CSM in routed mode ( i.e both the client and server vlans will have seperate IP addresses in different subnets ) and the endusers will be on all VLANS .

Pls let me know , how I can implement this solution.

Thanks again

Sudhir

Bronze

HI Sudhir,

I did it like this: (config parts see at the bottom)

Clients are residing in VLAN 40 (192.168.4.0/24)

As you see the CEs are in a different VLAN.

In my scenario both VLANs are defined as Server VLANs as I've a different Client VLAN.

May be there is something wrong with the CEs or the routing btw did you try to do some sniffertraces in the needed VLANs? Can you check if the loadbalancing is done properly? Maybe you start with one real which is in service so that we are sure that we know where the http-traffic has to be directed to.

serverfarm CES

no nat server

no nat client

predictor hash url

failaction reassign

real 10.2.1.1

inservice

real 10.2.1.2

inservice

real 10.2.1.3

inservice

vserver TRANSCACHE

virtual 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 tcp www

vlan 40

serverfarm CES

replicate csrp connection

no persistent rebalance

inservice

Regards,

Joerg

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for your help.

Can you give me some more info.

what I understand from your config is that ...

1. you have configured both CE VLAN and VLAN 40 as server on the CSM.

2. CE VLAN and VLAN 40 both have been assigned IP addresses from their respective subnets on the CSM.

did you define both the vlans at MSFC also?

I have similar configuration as yours , but I have defined CE VLAN at MSFC also. Also, in my case , no traffic is reaching the CE if I use

virtual 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 tcp www

However , if I substitute 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 by a virtual IP address like 10.2.1.10 for eg, and configure my Clients to use this IP as proxy, everything starts working.

regards

Sudhir

Cisco Employee

it looks like your client are using a default gateway that is not the CSM but the MSFC.

Therefore the MSFC does the routing and bypasses the CSM.

You have the make sure that the CSM is the default gateway or that the msfc forward all traffic to the csm (using static routes or policy routing)

Gilles.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content