Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSE, IOS SLB and CSM

Hosting Solution Software 1.9 does not support Catalyst 6500 devices that simultaneously run Cisco IOS

SLB and contain Content Switching Modules. To effectively manage the device, move the IOS SLB

configuration files to the Content Switching Module card and use only CSM instead.

Can someone explain me what means: move the config files from IOS SLB to the CSM card and use only CSM instead?

3 Replies 3

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

The Content Switching Module (CSM) configuration is very similar to the IOS SLB configuration. For example, if you have the following IOS SLB serverfarm and vserver in global config mode:

!

ip slb serverfarm WEB

nat server

no nat client

real 10.10.10.11

inservice

real 10.10.10.12

inservice

real 10.10.10.13

inservice

probe HTTP

!

ip slb vserver WEB

virtual 10.20.20.100 tcp www

serverfarm WEB

inservice

!

...you can remove it from the global config and add it to the CSM's config using the following in

module ContentSwitchingModule 3

!

serverfarm WEB

nat server

no nat client

real 10.10.10.11

inservice

real 10.10.10.12

inservice

real 10.10.10.13

inservice

probe HTTP

!

vserver WEB

virtual 10.20.20.100 tcp www

persistent rebalance

serverfarm WEB

inservice

!

In the example above, my CSM is in slot 3. In order to configure the CSM, you would log into the Supervisor's CLI and execute the following:

CAT-6509#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

CAT-6509(config)#module contentSwitchingModule 3

MR0317-6500-2(config-module-csm)#

From this configuration prompt, you can migrate your IOS SLB configurations to the CSM in the same chassis.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Hi Sean,

thank you for your reply. It's clear for me now. Doesn't seem to make much sense to have the IOS SLB and also the CSM card...

Anyway I was searching for this, because we changed the configuration of our CSM card by CLI and this modification don't appear in HSE. Exists some way to force them to syncronize?

I'm thinking in change the poll time, too see if this do the trick...do you know other way of force this?

Best regards,

Hello,

You might want to post your question to the Network Management forum. I'm not very familiar with the HSE as I support load balancers. I can tell you that there is nothing within the CSM CLI that will force the config to sync with HSE. The only config sync functionality in the CSM is to sync the config from an active CSM to a redundannt standby CSM.

Our NMS experts should be able to help you out with HSE questions.

Thanks,

Sean