Views
Helpful
Replies

http-comp rate Denied

ian.richards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an ACE4710 with a 100Mbps compression license. I have configured compression which seems to be working, but I have noticed, using sh resource usage all, that we have a high number of denied http-comp rate denied. What I would like to know is if this number is peak in time or accumulated over time.

Our resource usage is

Resource         Current       Peak        Min        Max       Denied
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  http-comp rate                0   13107200          0   13107200   81982748

so looking at these stats, it would imply a 725Mbps if it is point in time, or do i have to workout based on the duration?

Thanks for your help

7 Replies 7

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Ian,

The denied number is cumulative, not a peak.  It will just keep going up as you continue to peak at the maximum value.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Thanks Sean,

It there anyway of knowing the peak potential usage, as I understand the lics are available at 500M and 1G how can i tell which one I need?

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

Actually I not aware of any tips on calculating it.  However, I would think that if you are running at peak, and monitor how many bytes of denies go up over a period of time, then you could calculate the bytes per second that are being denied.  The numbers you see are in bytes so you would need to multiply by 8 to get bits per second.

Current Max:  13107200

Current Max Throughput:  13107200 * 8 = 104857600 = 100 Mbps

Sean

Hi Sean,

Thanks - I was afraid of having to do that.

Regards

Ian Richards

Computacenter (UK) Ltd

Services & Solutions

Ground Floor

Centric Building

19 Capital Drive

Linford Wood

Milton Keynes

MK14 6GE

T: 07764 16775

E: IAN.RICHARDS@COMPUTACENTER.COM

W: WWW.COMPUTACENTER.COM

Sean,

Another thought. If the stat is cumulative, it will add to it once it is over the current license (100Mbps) when it drops back down it won't add? So if the traffic is peaky, it will drop below 100Mbps and stop adding to the stat, so is calculating over time valid?

Regards

Ian Richards

Computacenter (UK) Ltd

Services & Solutions

Ground Floor

Centric Building

19 Capital Drive

Linford Wood

Milton Keynes

MK14 6GE

Ian,

Correct.  When the comp throughput drops below the max, then the denies will not go up.  I would think that you could still use a time period for measuring.  If it is generally on the edge of peak, then I would think that going from 100 Mbps to 500 Mbps should do it.

I'm not aware of any easier way.

Sean

Thanks Sean,

I'll see what I come up with. It does look like 500Mbps will do the trick based on tests we have done todate

Regards

Ian Richards

Computacenter (UK) Ltd

Services & Solutions

Ground Floor

Centric Building

19 Capital Drive

Linford Wood

Milton Keynes

MK14 6GE

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: