Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-GSS Communication and KAL-AP

yves.haemmerli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 4 GSS installed in the network that load balance users to 3 data centers and in each of them I have a CSM module. The KAL-AP protocol is configured between all GSS and all CSM in order to retrieve the load value form each site. On the GSSM GUI, I am observing that other GSS devices report the availability of each site as "online" instead of indicating "Load xx". Is it a normal behaviour ? Only the GSSM-Primary displays the real load ?

Thank you for any hints,

Yves Haemmerli

6 Replies 6

skumar1969
Level 1
Level 1

Strange because only primary GSS is browser-manageable whereas the slave ones are telnetable only as far as I know. Thanks.

Yes you are right, but what I mean is that the status of each VIP answer, as seen by slave GSS (On the GUI, you see statistics from other GSSes), shows "online" instead of showing the actual load value.

Yves

Check the following. It could be due to one of them.

1/ Check the 'Balance Methods' under the 'DNS Rules' to be 'least loaded' and not 'round-robin' or 'ordered-list'.

2/ If your 'Answer' is a 'VIP type', and it has 'VIP KeepAlive Type:' configured as 'none', then you would see an 'online'. Change that to something other than 'none'.

For example, a VIP type configured with a 'KAL-AP type' will show you the 'load' value rather than just an 'online/offline'

3/ The other possibility is that if you have configured the 'Answer' type as 'Name Server' rather than as 'VIP Type' then you would see the 'online' again.

4/ If you still face the issue I would recommend to upgrade your version. On version 1.3.1.0.0, I am not seeing this issue.

Hope this would solve your problem.

thanks

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer. I checked point 1 to 3 and everything is OK from a configuration point of view. I am using version 1.3.2.0.3, so a level above yours...maybe a new bug in this version ?! I will check with Cisco

Thank alot for your support

Yves Haemmerli

Hi again, here is an update on this problem

I observe that the load value is actually correctly communicated in the GSS CLI :

IP State Load

141.122.88.84 ONLINE 64

But is wrongly displayed as "online" in the GUI, so I suspect a bug in the GSS 1.3.2.0.3 GUI ...

Yves

I append comment on my own question..

It seams that Cisco changed the way they display the VIP status information in GSS version 1.3.2.0 !

The GUI is no longer displaying "Load xy" or "offline", like in version 1.3.1.0, but just "online"/"offline".

This is a big problem as most of the time, application operators (with a view-only account) have no access to the GSS CLI to monitor the load of their VIP. In addition, I have been told that no MIB exists in the GSS for the load!

Therefore, from an operating point of view, the GSS with version 1.3.2.0 is like a router in which you cannot browse the routing table :-(

Contact has been established with Cisco to fix this important issue

Yves Haemmerli