Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Is sticky table really FIFO ?

Hi, looking at my sticky table on the CSS I can see entries that have been in their for an extremely long time - 3810341 seconds = 44 days.

We have many services on the CSS but one service on the CSS has 14,000 logons per hours, with a 32K sticky table I would expect entries to get purged within the day ?

Can anyone explain this behaviour ?

cheers,

Mike

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Is sticky table really FIFO ?

Mike,

could you go in llama mode and do a

"sho sticky-stats "

How many entries do you have and how many available entries ?

Do you have the sticky-inact-timeout configured ?

Gilles.

Hi Gilles,

First thing, we actually have 288Mb of memory so we have 128K sticky entries, not 32K.

I just spoke with the server guys and they have a total amount of users of 100,000 so it is possible the entries stay in the table for a long time as the other services do not have so many users.

We do not have sticky-inact-timer set but we are looking to do this for this service to see if the load on the servers becomes more equal.

CONTENTSWITCH(debug)# show sticky-stats

Total number of available sticky entries is 0

Total number of used sticky entries is 131071

Total L3 sticky entries are 131071

Total L4 sticky entries are 0

Total SSL sticky entries are 0

Total WAP sticky entries are 0

Total number of SIPCID sticky entries is 0

One other question, if a sticky entry exisit for Client A going to Server A, then server A fails. Client A will get redirected to Server B. Will the original sticky entry be overwritten with this new one ? I would expect so.

cheers,

Mike

Gilles,

Yesterday I accessed a service on the CSS, and saw my sticky entry in the table. Today that entry has disappeared which suggests that since I used the loadbalancer 128K + entries have been written to the sticky table.

However, I still see entries with time elapsed of over 30 days ! If a flow is currently active, is it removed from the sticky table ?

cheers,

Mike

Cisco Employee

Mike,

yes, the sticky entry is overriden and clientA will now point to serverB

Gilles.

Thanks Gilles,

Could you answer my last point ?

cheers,

Mike

Cisco Employee

Mike,

can't explain why the entry for your pc was deleted. Except if it was already there before without you knowing it.

An entry could be there since a long time and show a small Time if it was being used recently.

Gilles.

Gilles,

No, I checked I had no entries in the table before I connected.

If a device is constantly connected via a TCP flow to the service, will it's sticky entry NOT be affected by FIFO.

i.e Is it only inactive flows that are affected ? Is there a default 'sticky-inact-timer' ?

cheers,

Mike

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content