cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 extension for DCI and Application Load Balancing

Borman Bravo
Level 1
Level 1

Given a layer 2 extension has been provided between two dispersed data centers, placing two ACE load balancers (one at each DC) configured for high availability -I understand all you need is to share a common Vlan which will be extended across the two DC's- is this a recommended setup to provide for active/active data centers? I appreciate any comments.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, ok. I was involved in some similar setups for some big customers and it worked just fine. As long as the ACEs see each other over a broadcast medium (needed because heartbeats are broadcasted) in a dedicated VLAN (needed to prevent anything interfering with the communication) the ACEs don't care if the other one is in the next rack or 100km away.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ivan Kovacevic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, that is correct. You need a direct L2 connectivity over a dedicated VLAN for ACE FT communication. Of course, client and server facing VLAN need to be at both DCs as well.

Thanks Ivan, still wondering if this a common practice or a cisco's "validated design" , have you seen this configuration with active/active DC's?

I am not sure which part is confusing you. Is it becuse the DCs are geographically spread apart? Or because it is Active/Active? Or is it the fact you need a dedicated VLAN for FT data? How else would you do it? So which part of the puzzle doesn't seem right for you?

Thanks again for your opinion, I mean the fact that the two DC's are geographically dispersed, I haven't come across any "real world" enviroments that leverage their extended layer 2 capabilities to run active-active ACE load balanced server VLANS.

Ah, ok. I was involved in some similar setups for some big customers and it worked just fine. As long as the ACEs see each other over a broadcast medium (needed because heartbeats are broadcasted) in a dedicated VLAN (needed to prevent anything interfering with the communication) the ACEs don't care if the other one is in the next rack or 100km away.

Thanks! Very helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: