cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC Address of CSS interface not seen on L2 switch.

dtochilovsky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All, I have an issue, where the MAC address of one of the interfaces on the CSS no longer shows up on the L2 switch's mac address table. The interfaces are bridged vlan's.

Because the switch does not see the mac address, connecting to the VIP's on the CSS does not work. The only way I can get the VIP's to work is to add a static MAC address to the switch's mac address table. Connecting to real server IP's works fine.

Has anyone seen this happen?

I've attached the configuration of both CSS and L2 switch and the output from the mac-address table on the switch before I addded the static mac address.

Thank you

Dmitry.

4 Replies 4

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

The purpose of the Virtual IP (VIP) and interface redundancy feature is to provide IP addresses that can float between two or more physical network nodes. These IP addresses are used to provide redundancy for attached servers and VIPs. There are four types of VIP and interface redundancy features: interface, active/backup VIP redundancy, fate sharing, and shared VIP redundancy.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps789/products_tech_note09186a008009432f.shtml#topic4

Since you are in box-to-box redundancy, are you sure you are looking at the active box ?

What version do you run ?

G.

Hi Gilles, yes I verified that the MAC address of the Master device was missing from the mac address tabe on the switch.

We are running version 7.2.3 and are upgrading to 8.10.5.0 to try to fix this issue as recommended by Cisco TAC.

Dmitry.

Hi Giles,

I had also faced the same issue with the ACE module but atlast we got to know that there was issue with the hardware.

Regards

Inayath

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: