Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Migration from Nexus 7000 without VDC to VDC

Hi all

I am working on a DataCenter architecture where we would like to implement Nexus 7000.

For the time being, there only one "context" but we may take the opportunity to implement VDC in a later future

I was not able to find a clear answer on the following :

Can we add the VDC licence & configure a new VDC on a Nexus 7000 running without VDC ?

I suppose this is possible. but does it need to have the whole configuration changed or adding a VDC can be done without any interruption on the current environnement ?

Thanks in advance !

Everyone's tags (2)
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Migration from Nexus 7000 without VDC to VDC

Hello

To have VDC support on n7k you will require following license:

LAN_ADVANCED_SERVICES_PKG

To configure new vdc you need to run:

Nexus(config)# vdc

This will create new VDC which is separate from the current one. It shouldn't affect productional environment since separate processes started for new VDC.

Then you can allocate some interfaces to it and configure.

But you need to be careful to check whether you allocate unused interfaces and don't add resource excessive configuration.

Here is a very good explanation of what is VDC and how it works:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/ps9512/White_Paper_Tech_Overview_Virtual_Device_Contexts.html

And here is VDC config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/vdc_nx-os_cfg.html

HTH,

Alex

Re: Migration from Nexus 7000 without VDC to VDC

Thanks for your answer Alex & documents.

I would consider having the VDC licence from the beginning

Indeed. not having the VDC licence would mean put everything on the default one, which may be not a desired scenario if we want to extend with anothre later (I consider this would make more sense to configure the default VDC for management & 2 separate VDC forwarding traffic)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content