cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Putting a .cer certificate on the CSS

michael.e.reid
Level 1
Level 1

HI, I have a customer who wants to make use of the CSS for SSL offloading. PReviously we have always received our certificates in .pfx format but this is in .cer.

Basically how can I get this on the CSS, do I need to create a .pfx file ?

cheers,

Mike

7 Replies 7

skumar1969
Level 1
Level 1

We used to upload the .PEM formatted ssl files with no file extension. It works fine. However no idea if it would work for your .pfx formatted files.

Well, I don't have it .pfx OR .pem yet. It is a .cer file so I basically have the certificate in notepad.

Can I convert this easliy or upload as it is. Normally on the CSS we use PEM or PFX only.

.cer is not a format.

So basically, ou have to figure out what it is.

Most probably this is a PEM formated file renamed in .cer

So you can import it just like this in the CSS [specify pem format and requested].

Gilles.

Thanks Gilles,

I'll give it a go.

Mike

Hi,

*.cer is a vilid certifikate.

It is a X.509/DER binary format or X.509/DER BASE64 encoded certificate.

*.pem is a PEM format (Privacy Encoded Mail format for sending certs embedded in email, typically SSL cert)

Extensions usually don't matter that much. What matters in the internal format of the file. The file formats are nearly all missing a format signature to make identification easy. It is as though the designers did not want anyone looking at the files and making any assumptions on what they read there. You must externally track what every certificate is for.

Some certificates have binary format, others an ASCII printable format, still mostly gibberish. Unfortunately they don't have human readable markers in them to tell you what type they are or what they are for or what they contain.

I think there is no way to convert this certificate

Udo

I think have established this cert as a PKCS#7 certificate but I do not think I can use these on the CSS, only PKCS#12 ?

Does anyone know if this is true ?

cheers,

Mike

Mike,

could you import this certificate on a windows PC using Internet Explorer or any other browser and then export it to pkc12.

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: