Views
Helpful
Replies

Query on ACE

sateeshk10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Would like to change the hostname in ACE which is in production with failover & multiple contexts....

Query : Is there any prodcedure to change the hostname in production/simply login into box and change the hostname? Will failover function & multi contexts works as normal or reuiqred any commands to bring to normal?

I Appreciate your qucik reply.

Regards

Kumar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kumar

To change hostname you need to configure only Admin context, so it's not important where other contexts are active or standby.

Do you have FT group for context Admin ? If yes and running config synchronization is eabled for it you need to run these commands only on ACE where Admin context is active :

hostname  

peer hostname

If you don't have FT group for Admin context (or running config synchronization is disabled for it) and it means that you have access to configuration mode in Admin context on both ACEs - in this case you  need to run these commands :

hostname  

peer hostname

On both ACEs in Admin context. They should be mirroring each other.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Borys Berlog
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kumar.

You can change hostname on production ACEs, it doesn't affect them in any way. If you have HA pair and Admin context are in A/S situation too  you need to use :

hostname   - to set hostname for Active ACE

peer hostname - to set hostname for Standby ACE.

Thanks for quick repsonse, i got something now based on your input still some calrification required.. Here is  present setup

ACE1 : admin & context1 & context2(primary for context2)

ACE2 : admin & Context1 & context2(primary for context 1) --> now i want to change hostnmae for this device.

Based on this where i need to execute the commands ?

Regards

kumar

Hi Kumar

To change hostname you need to configure only Admin context, so it's not important where other contexts are active or standby.

Do you have FT group for context Admin ? If yes and running config synchronization is eabled for it you need to run these commands only on ACE where Admin context is active :

hostname  

peer hostname

If you don't have FT group for Admin context (or running config synchronization is disabled for it) and it means that you have access to configuration mode in Admin context on both ACEs - in this case you  need to run these commands :

hostname  

peer hostname

On both ACEs in Admin context. They should be mirroring each other.

Thanks,  now its clear.

Regards

Kumar

One more query, looking for command for manual failover.

ace# ft switchover   (press enter/ need to give the force also) what will happen press enter after the group id and what will happen press enter after the force option.

Regards

Kumar

Hi Kumar

If everything is working there is no difference. However if situation when FT VLAN is down you won't be able to perform ft switchover without force option. (because there is no real FT at this moment). However if because of any reason you need to manually put FT group in Standby status (e.g. something happened , FT vlan is down and devices are in Active/Active state) you can use "force" and this will force device in Standby state despite that FT communication is broken

Hi,

I appreciate all your responses, a small issue.

I am unable to login into secondary box and able to login to primary(integrated with TACACS). when i checked it configuration, it has been synced with secondary...how come i am able to login into secondary alone?

Regards

Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: