cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reverse Proxy and Transparent Caching

chengdd
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen a couple threads on these particular subjects, and I'm still a little curious. I understand that it is possible to have both of these configured, but what is the proper method of accomplishing this?

For example, our setup is similar to the configuration in the configuration guide for clients and content engines on different subnets, so the transparent part seems pretty simple where the "ip wccp web-cache redirect out" command will be on the interface connected to the internet.

However, for the reverse proxy portion, can I also configure reverse proxy on the same internet-connected interface with "ip wccp 99 redirect in"? Or does the transparent caching take precendence even though they are for different conditions? If that is the case, do I then need to use the "ip wccp 99 redirect out" command on the interface that would be pointing back towards the origin servers?

I'd just like to clarify because we don't have test devices to play around with, so we would be modifying production devices.

As a completely different question, if only transparent caching is configured, is it still possible to use the CE590 as a proxy server? The reason I am asking is that we recently shut down wccp because we were seeing excessive traffic at odd hours. A stroll through the transaction logs revealed that most of this traffic was destined for foreign subnets. It appeared that the CE590 was acting as a proxy for these foreign IPs because the source IP address as well as the data being retrieved were foreign to our network.

If anyone can help with my questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

David

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

According to this thread,

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.ee8a89a

if you are redirecting both the services on the same interface, One service takes precedence over the other and I believe transparent web-cache redirect takes precedence over reverse-proxy.I think you need to use the "ip wccp 99 redirect out" command on the interface that would be pointing back towards the origin servers.

For details refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/conntsw/ps491/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800af658.html#19607

I'm not too sure about the CE 590 but i know that the CE 560 can be used as a proxy for transparent caching using WCCP.

Thanks for the reply. That was the particular thread that actually made me reconsider our configurations. So the web-cache is redirecting in on the interface connected to the internet, and reverse-proxy is redirecting out on the interfaces connected to the internal servers. We still haven't had a chance to test this, but I'm hopeful.