cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Same VIP for multiple applications

Keong.leow
Level 1
Level 1

I am doing GSLB between two sites using CSS.

I am supposed to use same VIP address for different applications in each site.

example

dns-record A www.test.com 1.1.1.1 60 multiple kal-icmp 1.1.1.1

content 1

add service 1

port 8080

vip addresses 1.1.1.1

active

content

add service 1

port 443

vip address 1.1.1.1

application ssl

advance-balance ssl

active

content 3

vip address 1.1.1.1

service 1

port 8443

advance-balance ssl

active.

clients acces by specifying hostname:port to access particular appliation.

The issue is even though the application on port 8080 is down on onesite the CSS responds with VIP 1.1.1.1 when client requests for www.test.com:8080 as the DNS A-record is active becoz of other application(content 2 and content3).

Is there any specific configurations in the CSS to avoid mentioned situations other than using different vip address for different applications..

Thanks in advance !!!

4 Replies 4

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

change your dns-record keepalive from icmp to tag. Then specify a tag under the content rule 8080 config with the command 'add dns '.

Gilles.

Gilles,

What about if content 2 and content 3 is down?

do i need to add three dns A records with keepalive tag with different tag for three contents.

Gilles,

The available keepalives in the dns-record are kal-ap,kal-ap-vip,kal-icmp,kal-none and i didnt find the option for adding keepalive tag.

could you please provide more information on this.

Thanks in advance

the one you need is kal-ap.

This is documented at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps792/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080577cef.html#wp1119543

You have to understand that an name is linked to an ip address [not an application].

So, you can easily failover when the primary one is down or if they are all down.

If you want to failover when any is down, it is a little bit more complicated.

One way to achieve it is create a fake service that use a custom script to monitor all your vip. You use this fake service in a fake content rule that you monitor with kal-ap.

When this fake content rule goes down, it means one of the other content rule went down, and gslb will failover.

There might be other solution, but nothing direct.

Gilles.