Views
Helpful
Replies

SLB across two 6500 devices. Questions

rtwwpad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a new network design which is suffering from feature creep :)

I just need to double check my thinking.

Basically I have two 6500 devices operating in the core (c1 and c2). These are cross connected. I have eight IBM bladeservers connecting in from 4 different bladechassis's. These plug directly into the core 6500's. Users run on their own switches (6500's u1 and u2), which have dual connections into the core.( i.e. one of their connections goes to c1 and the other to c2).

Each 6500 is acting as a L3 switch. I need to create a virtual fileserver (vfs1) which allows the users to access it. The 8 servers on my blades form this vfs1 construct. Each bladeserver has two network ports (port 1 connects to c1, port 2 connects to c2), which operate in an active/standby mode. I am running ospf as the protocol of choice in the network.

My original idea was to create vfs1 using IOS SLB and allocate the 8 servers to it. The client has now asked for sticky connections. However after thinking about it, I am starting to think this may not be possible.

Originally I thought I would run HSRP on the two core switches. Create VFS1 on each switch and then let HSRP decide which core switch would act and send the users to this switch and hence onto the VFS1. Now, with this sticky request I cannot see anyway of transferring the state information over. So my questions are:

1) Is there a way for IOS SLB to transfer state between two devices

2) Is there a way for CSM to transfer state between two devices

3) Is my thinking correct in that I have to define the VFS1 on both switches and then let HSRP take care of it.

All advice appreciated.

Kind regards

Phil

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, you are correct. For your scenario the best way is to define the VFS1 on both switches and then let HSRP take care of it. Try this. It should work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: