cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sticky between content rules

d.alves
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scenario where I have the same two servers (s1 and s2) being load balanced in two different content rules. One content rule is doing sticky based on an arrowpoint cookie, the other is using source ip as its sticky method.

My question: Is there a way to keep a client stuck to server s1 even when the client connects to both content rules. I need sticky across content rules and suspect that this can't be accomplished.

5 Replies 5

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

this feature does not exist on the CSS.

You will need to group the 2 content rules into a single one by making it more generic [do not specify the tcp port] or you could keep the 2 content rules and use 'balance srcip' instead of roundrobin.

This will use a hash algorithm that will give you the same result on both rules.

Gilles.

Thanks for rating this answer.

If you try to use the balance srcip method with 2 content rules, make sure the services are added to both content rules in the same order, or it will not work(at least as expected).

Interesting, we actually use this with great success, we put the sticky cookie in content rule 1 and use the same cookie in content rule 2, I cannot believe this works by chance and our sniffer traces tells us the cookies are set propertly, why would the CSS not react on them on a different content rule ?

rgds

Matt

yes, it works as expected.

But what the initial question was about is arrowpoint cookie on one rule and sticky source ip on the other rule.

I have the feeling the 2nd content rule is not http, so in this case the only option is balance srcip.

Gilles.

So, to review if you use arrow point cookies between content rules and the cookie definition is exactly the same, such as arrowpoint-cookie name TESTOUT ,

and the services behind the rules are the same , then this will keep the flows with the cookie stuck to the same server ??

Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: