Helpful
Replies

Sticky query - CSS11501

grichardson661
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So i'm pretty new to the CSS.

I've picked up a problem and need to verify how the sticky configuration works.

I've got two content rules as follows...

content HTTP

vip address 10.31.33.100

add service WEB01

add service WEB02

redundant-index 570

port 80

protocol tcp

advanced-balance sticky-srcip

url "//www.asdfghhjjkl.com/*"

active

content HTTPS

vip address 10.31.33.100

add service SSL.WEB01

add service SSL.WEB02

port 443

protocol tcp

url "/*"

redundant-index 970

application ssl

active

If a user were to navigate between 80 and 443 but based around the same VIP 10.31.33.100 but different content rules as per above, how would the sticky session apply? I would like a user to be stuck to a single web server regardless of which content rule they hit as per the above configuration.

Any ideas?

Cheers and much appreciated

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cesar Roque
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

you need a configuration like this:

content HTTP

vip address 10.31.33.100

add service WEB01

add service WEB02

redundant-index 570

protocol tcp

active

The services don't have to be configured with a port.

This Content Rule will take all the traffic going to the VIP address regardless if the client is doing HTTP or HTTPS, so the client will be sticky to the same server all the time.

Each Content Rule has its own sticky table so even when you are using the same VIP and same servers it does not mean that you will be sticky to the same server in two Content Rules

---------------------
Cesar R
ANS Team

--------------------- Cesar R ANS Team

View solution in original post

Hi,

You just need one Content Rule and two services.

About the keepalive, it may be possible with a custom script but with the default keepalives is not .  You can configure a TCP keepalive in the service for example, but if you dont configure a port in the Content Rule or Service the CSS will send the keepalive to port 80.

So you can check only one port.

---------------------
Cesar R
ANS Team

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

According to the above configuration the client should stick to the same server as you want.

When a client will come on port 80, there will be match to a different content rule than when it comes on port 443 and hence it will match a different flow. Stickyness is based on src IP and coming traffic will match a single content rule and hence will be sent to the same server.

Regards,

Kanwaljeet Singh

Cesar Roque
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

you need a configuration like this:

content HTTP

vip address 10.31.33.100

add service WEB01

add service WEB02

redundant-index 570

protocol tcp

active

The services don't have to be configured with a port.

This Content Rule will take all the traffic going to the VIP address regardless if the client is doing HTTP or HTTPS, so the client will be sticky to the same server all the time.

Each Content Rule has its own sticky table so even when you are using the same VIP and same servers it does not mean that you will be sticky to the same server in two Content Rules

---------------------
Cesar R
ANS Team

Hi Cesar,

As i thought, but with this being a production platform i've not had chance to play around with the configuration.

One query i've got is the keepalives in a single content configuration. I need to apply two service policies under the single content rule as we are performing a health check for 443 and 80. Is this possible under a single content rule?

So i would have 4 service policies under the single content policy? 2 health checks for port 80 per server (web01 and web02) and 2 more service policies for port 443 per server (web01 and web02)

Cheers!!

Hi,

You just need one Content Rule and two services.

About the keepalive, it may be possible with a custom script but with the default keepalives is not .  You can configure a TCP keepalive in the service for example, but if you dont configure a port in the Content Rule or Service the CSS will send the keepalive to port 80.

So you can check only one port.

---------------------
Cesar R
ANS Team

Thanks for your swift reply.

This will not work for us then as we need a sticky session for the none secure and secure traffic in a single content rule, and we need to perform keepalives based around TCP 80 and 443.

Cheers,