cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sticky table query

michael.e.reid
Level 1
Level 1

In our production setup we have SCMs with 256Mb memory so a 128K entry sticky table, when I look into this I see entries that have been there for over 40 days.Yesterday I connected to a load balanced service and confirmed my IP was in this table, this morning it had disappeared but there were still entries for over 40 days.

As this sticky table is supposedly FIFO I would have thought the older (40+ days) entry should be removed before mine. However, I would like to know if a sticky entry is removed from the table if it is still active ?

6 Replies 6

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if it is not in the table it is not active.

Are you sure some of your rule are not configured with sticky-inact-timeout ?

Those entries are not fifo.

Gilles.

Gilles,

The entries do not have sticky-inact timeout.

Does FIFO apply to both active and inactive flows ? Or is it only inactive flows removed from the table.

cheers,

Mike

Gilles,

You mentiond 'if it is not in the table it is not active'

But inactive TCP connections do stay in the sticky table. If I connect to a loadbalancer service I can see my IP address in the table. If I close the browser down and check the table 6 hours later it is still in the table.

cheers,

Mike

Mike,

do not mix sticky table and flow table.

They are independent.

If an entry is in the sticky table it will stay there as long as sticky-inact-timeout or until it is pushed out.

The sticky entry timeout is reseted each time a connection comes in and matches the sticky entry.

The CSS does not care if there is an active flow or not for a sticky entry.

If your sticky table is full, the only solution is to configure sticky-inact-timeout.

Gilles.

Gilles,

I do not necessarily have a problem, but I do not understand the behaviour of our table.

If I connect to a loadbalanced service I see my sticky entry in the table for less than 24 hours, however, there are entries in there for much longer than 24 hours. (up to 40 days)

In a FIFO system those should be removed first (before my newer entry)

So. What is the reason they are still in ? Is it because those systems have a always on TCP connection through the loadbalancer. Or is there a problem.

cheers,

Mike

Mike,

could you capture the data showing what you describe and attach them to this thread.

Also indicate which version you are using and it would be good to have your config and a 'show sticky-stat'

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: