Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch traffic from backup-rserver back to primary on ACE

vyhnalpetr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!

I have simple serverfarm with one primary rsyslog and one backup-rsyslog configured. Failaction is configured to purge. When primary goes down all connections are correctly reset and newly pointed to standby unit (backup-rserver) which becomes operational. Just wondering if anybody knows how to force ACE to switch all traffic back to primary rserver once it becomes available after an outage. There's no stickiness configured. Also the traffic is UDP one way traffic, so there is nothing to worry about from session persistence perspective or something like that. Unfortunately when primary rsyslog gets back online only new connections are pointed to it, but some connections remain on backup-rserver. Only option to get all traffic back to primary rserver is to manually clear connections. Any ideas?

Thanks

Petr

2 Replies 2

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Petr,

This is functioning as designed. The only way is to clear the connections manually or bring the server down manually. After connection timeout once the connection is removed, the new connection would go to the primary server but as long as there is traffic for existing connections they will be sent to the same server. You cannot change that. In your case of UDP it might not look helpful but normally this is a very useful feature:)

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

thanks for quick reply. I was a little bit affraid of this is behavior which can't be modified. I understand it's useful in case of any two way communication. Well, at least I don't have to spend more time reading tons of documentation.

Thanks a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: