cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

syslog and 11051

jimb
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured my 11051 to talk to my syslog server, but I do not receive any messages from it. Has anyone had any luck with this?

8 Replies 8

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

could you tell us what you configured so we can see if something is missing.

What is the version you are running also ?

Gilles.

I run a KIWI syslog server that handles logging for a PIX 525, a 7204, 3 AS350s, and a Lucent MAX 4000. Al of them talk to the KIWI server without a problem.

On the CSS 11051 the OS is a bit peculiar to me, and documentation is scant, but here is what I have:

Logging host < ip address for the syslog server> facility6

Logging buffer 10000

When I type "show installed-software" the device returns: "ap0500045"

d.parks
Level 1
Level 1

If you're using CiscoWorks2000 for syslogging, they are not compatible. I've run into the same issue. CW2K is probably receiving the messages but is throwing them away.

You are right. You can see the entries from the CSS being received by the unix syslogd. In my case, it is in /var/log/syslog. But, CW2K server doesn't understand them. Very frustrating.

bhose
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Have you set the trap level ?. Try this:-

logging trap notifications

Regards Brett

Hi Bret,

"logging trap" is not a valid command on the 11051.

lstrike
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried also configuring the logging subsystem so that the CSS is logging events as it is configured as default at logging level 4, and if there is no events to log it will not work.

If you try the following command it will log at debug level and will be able to test whether the CSS is sending messages to the syslog server or not.

"logging subsystem all level debug-7 "

The CSS is sending syslogs to CW2k - they show up clearly in the logs. It is just that the CW2k syslog scraper doesn't understand them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: