Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog and SNMP in Multi-Context Mode ACE

yves.haemmerli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I configured SNMP and Logging in the Admin context. With this simple setup, will the ACE send snmp traps and syslog messages on behalf of the other contexts (for instance if a context interface goes down or, if a read server fails) ?

More generally, what is the recommended logging and SNMP configuration in multiple contextx mode ?

Thank you in advance

Yves

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yves,

contexts are independent.

So they need to have their own snmp config or logging config.

There is no general rules as contexts are really dependent on what you need them for.

For an ISP giving one context to each customer, it is clear each customer will have to set it up for their own needs.

If you just decided to split your traffic between internal network and external network, you may want to consolidate the logging and snmp info ...

No magic solution here.

Think about contexts as different devices.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yves,

contexts are independent.

So they need to have their own snmp config or logging config.

There is no general rules as contexts are really dependent on what you need them for.

For an ISP giving one context to each customer, it is clear each customer will have to set it up for their own needs.

If you just decided to split your traffic between internal network and external network, you may want to consolidate the logging and snmp info ...

No magic solution here.

Think about contexts as different devices.

Gilles.

Gilles,

Excellent, its exactly what I needed. Guess what, I was configuring the customer ACEs just right now, hoping an answer from the forum and your reply arrives just on time ! Great, thank you Gilles,

Yves

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: