Views
Helpful
Replies

TCP RSt If VIP Unavailable

Brendan O'Flynn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Is there any way to get a CSS11503 running 07.10.102 to return a TCP RST when the VIP is unavailable (i.e. when services are down)? I know that this is possible in 07.30 but this is required for a new backend resilience feature of an existing production environment and upgrading to 07.30 is not an option at this point in time.

The present implementation uses direct connections to application servers and uses the HTTP 404 (Not Found) status code to define a course of action to be taken. Of course if I put the LB in front of the app servers and the services go down then the HTTP 404 won't be returned as the LB won't/can't service the request for content and will just timeout.

I have built and tried the new set-up using 07.30.1.06 and all worked OK using the global command flow tcp-reset-vip-unavailable after getting the developers to take action on the TCP RST being sent.

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Thanks,

Brendan

2 Replies 2

pknoops
Level 3
Level 3

Brendan,

Is there any chance using a "primary sorry server" in the content rule can satisfy what you need ? So in essence when the main servers go down, the VIP will remain up and start sending requests to the sorry server. Can you manipulate the sorry server to send back what you need to the client ?

Just a thought

Pete..

Pete,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I had previously asked the PM about using "sorry servers" as part of the solution but for some reason, that was never fully explained to me, they're not too keen on the idea.

But maybe you're right, maybe I should explore this avenue with them a bit more.

Thanks again,

Brendan