Views
Helpful
Replies

Tracing on a CCS 11150

jcasqueiro
Level 1
Level 1

I there,

I am getting lots of session disconnects in W2K servers behind a CCS 11150 from a couple of remote stations. I suspect the cause to be line errors of some kind and therefore I would like to trace the flows and see if packets are being dropped/arrive in error.

I have seen the doc "packet tracing on the CCS 11000" but I am not sure if with "flow trace-ip" I will be able to do this or if there is othe better way to do it.

Thanks/Brgds

jc

5 Replies 5

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

jc,

with flow trace-ip, you can see the TCP or UDP packets coming and going out the CSS.

Also, this command does not display all the packets.

We only see the ones that are process-switched.

A better solution would be to use a sniffer trace in front of the CSS and in the backend side.

You can also check the 'sho ether-error' commands to see if any problem is

detected by the CSS.

If there is other switches, like Cisco catalyst, use 'sho interface' or 'sho port

to check for CRC errors.

Regarding your problem, if you have a lot of connections and some of them stays idle for 15 seconds, the CSS might drop them to free resources.

What you usually see in this case is a RESET being sent by the CSS to the client.

One solution to this problem is the flow port timeout command to increase the default 15 seconds timer.

In conclusion, I would suggest to capture a sniffer trace in front of the CSS and see if you have RST.

Hope this will help.

Gilles.

Thanks for the tips Gilles / Brgds

JC

Gilles, just one more question.

I couldn't find any "flow port timeout" command in Cisco CCS documentation or in the Cisco site (the only thing nearer is "flow port-reset"). Is this an undocumented command ??

Thanks/Brgds

JoaoC

should be documented somewhere.

It is a new command however.

css(config)# flow port1 ?

Integer value(Range: 0-65535)

css(config)# flow port1 80 ?

timeout Timeout value in seconds

css(config)# flow port1 80 timeout ?

Integer value(Range: 0-600)

css(config)# flow port1 80 timeout

Gilles.