cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Translating Alteon-ese to Cisco-ese. noob.

geordie.guy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a configuration from an Alteon balancer that I need to build a configuration for a CSS11501 from. I've read the vanilla configuration example and can't figure out how to translate Alteon terms to Cisco ones. I have in the Alteon config a list of;

Real Servers

Real Server Groups

Virtual Services

VLANS with their IPs

Default Route

Static Routes

On the Cisco I appear to outline my configuration in terms of;

Services

Circuits

Owners

Rules

I guess what I need to know is, what are the Cisco versions of the Alteon terms? (obviously static route is static route but is a real server in Alteon a VIP address in Cisco?)

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jpcomeau
Level 1
Level 1

The way I understand it is as follows:

Alteon Cisco

---------------- ----------------------

Real Server service

Real svr group no correlation per se

virtual services content

vlans circuits

They way we are planning to convert is to create the necessary interfaces and ciruits on the css that correspond to the Alteon ports and vlans. As we create the new load balancing scenarios we are creating a service for each of our RIPs. We have multiple business groups that will be owners and under those owners we wil create the content that will have the VIPs. One of the big differences between the two devices is that the CSS places the keep alives with the service while the Alteon has it in the groups and VIPs.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jpcomeau
Level 1
Level 1

The way I understand it is as follows:

Alteon Cisco

---------------- ----------------------

Real Server service

Real svr group no correlation per se

virtual services content

vlans circuits

They way we are planning to convert is to create the necessary interfaces and ciruits on the css that correspond to the Alteon ports and vlans. As we create the new load balancing scenarios we are creating a service for each of our RIPs. We have multiple business groups that will be owners and under those owners we wil create the content that will have the VIPs. One of the big differences between the two devices is that the CSS places the keep alives with the service while the Alteon has it in the groups and VIPs.

You can create "global" keepalives and merely apply these as a named keepalive on each service.

Also, I've found O'Reilly' Load Balancing book a helpful primer on concepts and it also explains basic configs for the 3 main lb platforms at the time of it's writing.