Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding GSS proximity decisions

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

I'm trying configure and test proximity based responses on the GSS (v3.2) and I'm having trouble understanding how the decisions are being made.  As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be working.  For the test, I've configured three websites at three locations, one in the western US, one in the eastern US, and one in Hong Kong.  I also have DRP agents running on internet edge routers at each location.  The GSS is located at the EasternUS site, and is configured to probe all three websites for status.  I'm trying to use http://whatsmydns.net to verify that the proximity rules are working, but it seems like the same answer keeps being sent out to all of the sites, regardless of location.   First I noticed that all three answers were being used in order, and once I changed the balance method from round-robin to ordered list, that behavior went away.  But now, even though I can observe the DRP queries being processed at each router, I'm not seeing the DNS requests going to the server I think it should.

I've been reading these docs during my setup, so I feel like I'm doing everything right -- can anyone help shed light on the odd results?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/gss4400series/v3.1/configuration/gui/gslb/guide/Proxmity.html#wp1244551

Thanks,

Brandon

2 Replies 2

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

Maybe the better question is -- how many people are actually using proximity on their GSS?  Is there a better solution out there?

Hi Brandon,

The first thing in this case is to check your configuration, but, that's too complex to be done here. I would recommend you to open a TAC service request to have it investigated further.

Regards

Daniel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: