cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading CSS for gigabit support

rlortiz
Level 1
Level 1

The CSS11501 devices are not modular and thus don't support Gigabit interfaces (except for the uplink). We will have to upgrade those devices to CSS11503 with gigabit over copper modules correct?

4 Replies 4

stevehall
Level 1
Level 1

the CSS does not support Gig over copper. The 503 and 506 both have a module for gig over fiber. In addition, the SCM that every 503 and 506 has comes built in with 2 gig ports.

It uses the SFP GBICS (The small ones)

-Steve

Steve,

Thanks for information. In regards to the SCM on the CSS, do you know if the 2 Gigabit ports on the actual SCM module are usable just like any interface? What I'm getting at is that on the CSS11501 models, they also have dual Gigabit ports but ?I seem to remember they can't be used as regular ports; only for uplinks or failover or something (maybe this has changed). We are needing 4 Gigabit ports on each CSS (1 for upstream to the FW, 1 for the failover/heartbeat, and 2 for each downstream switch). Based on that config, I'm assuming we can get by with only one additional GE IO module (which has 2 ports), and using the two on the SCM.

Thanks for information on this you may have.

Richard

you can use the gig ports for data... The only port you can't use for load balancing is the fast ethernet management port.

-Steve

Thanks Steve!!