cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN tunnel and WAAS from US to UK

statent
Level 1
Level 1

We have a application in the UK and we need to Optimize the traffic to the US and want to add a WAE in the UK to help us do this but the connectivity link is a VPN tunnel between the site. Do you think this is possible Some say it is but it concerns me.

2 Replies 2

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

Sure it is possible. I have several customers running WAAS with VPN tunnels for WAN links and it works fine. You may need to tune down the TCP mss a little, but thats about it.

You just need to figure out how you are going to integrate the WAE ... via Inline or WCCP.

What are your specific concerns?

-Brad

Rich Postmus
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of WAE's running as legs off of routers(using WCCP), and traversing thru ASA's with an IPsec tunnel between them. The ASA compression works great - but it might be worth your while to verify the specific application rules on the WAE, vs your specific application. We originally wanted this solution to improve a Terminal Services clone (Provision) - but it already had compression enabled. So, the WAE only improved that a very small percentage, but it did improve SQL, email, FTP, http. (FTP in some cases changed from multiple minutes to seconds). We don't do CIFS across our tunnels so that aspect was never tested or implemented.