Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS 4.1 - Virtual Blades

d.gabo
Level 1
Level 1

A few questions please:

1. WAVE 274 supports two VBs - is one of them used for WAAS or both available for other OS's

2. Configurator permits only one VB license per device. Does this meant that this license is sufficient to activate the maximum number of VB's supported by the platform?

3. How many VB's are supported on WAVE-574 with 3GB RAM?

Thanks

DG

7 Replies 7

mlouis
Level 1
Level 1

DG,

I would think the reason you can only order 1 VB license at this time is because the only option currently for VB software is Windows 2008 Core. So unless you wanted to run more than one instance of Windows 2008 Core it wouldn't make since to sell you another license since nothing else is supported for the second blade. Thats my understanding at least.

Also, from what i understand about the wave appliances, WAAS code and system code for supporting WAAS still run in non-virtual mode. The VB option is run within the same kernel that supports the WAAS code. Thats my understanding at this time.

HTH

Mike

Thanks, Mike

My thinking is that if you can buy a 'plain' VB license, then you can run another OS on it, say Linux or full Windows Server.

Also, I am still not clear how may partitions are available for 'other' use.

Regards,

DG

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So I just checked internally and here it the deal. The WAVE hardware can support up to 2 VBs for the basic models, however the current version of WAAS (4.1) only supports a single 1 GB VB. In the future, they will look to support a single 1 GB VB or 2 512 MB VBs.

So you can currently run a single 1 GB VB on the 274, 474 and 574-base models. The extra memory on the 574 will get you the ability to run an extra VB.

In the future, I understand that there will be other "blades" available including things like other possible application specific accelerators or things like ACNS.

Hope that helps,

Dan

When is the next version of WAAS expected to be released? Is cisco on any scheduled release program for the software or is just patch and new features as they become available from the BU? Thanks in advance.

Great product

Mike

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

4.1.1a is the latest release of the WAAS code on cisco.com. It is a major feature release from the 4.0.x code train. The engineers have slightly changed the naming convension of the 4.1 releases to better show the differences between feature releases and code fixes.

Major releases will be shown as 4.2 or 5.0 as in the past. New features will be released as minor point versions, i.e. 4.1.3 and 4.1.5. Bug fixes will now be released as 4.1.1a (now on Cisco.com) or 4.1.1b so now you can track code updates in the same feature set.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Is there a major release window or schedule? Say every 12 months or will it be on an as needed basis?

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't know of a set release schedule, however as new features are requested by the field and by customers, they will be integrated into a minor and major releases.

I would expect to see a minor release in the near future as well as continued maintainance releases.

Thanks,

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: