Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS 7574 Inline

ashley_dew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are testing a Cisco WAVE 7574 with the WAVE-INLN-GE-4SX  inline card.

Setup is as follows:

SWITCH LAYER2  ------>WAVE 7574 ----> LAYER2 WAN -----> WAVE 7574 --->SWITCH LAYER 2

The switch connections are trunk connections with vlan tagged on it and the layer 2 WAN supports VLANs.

Without WAAS ok.

I have added one vlan  to test with the WAAS setup, ping goes through, ok , so WAN link is up.

Now, when I add another vlan (2 vlans )and pass production traffic on the other vlan, nothing goes through, not even bypass. My MAC address at all on the switch port connected to the WAAS, no arp replies, just blanking.

WAAS config  is all vlans interception with vlan id checking.

My question

1. The WAVE-INLN-GE-4SX  does not have indication which sx port  is LAN and WAN. Is there a specific way to connect? and is this causing the problem. but ping is going through.

2. What's the purpose of the vlan id checking? I am ot sure to understand what it does and could this cause the problem

The documentation are pretty vague and I thought that inline is straight forward.

WAAS config:

interface InlineGroup 1/0
 inline vlan all
 exit
interface InlineGroup 1/1
 inline vlan all
 exit

Switch

description **** TEMP CONNECTION TO WAAS ON MW ****
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 3,9
 switchport mode trunk
 load-interval 30
 media-type sfp
 no cdp enable
 spanning-tree portfast trunk
end

I would be gratful f you could help.

1 Reply 1

Jeffrey Saelens
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ashley,

I'll need to do a little more research on your first question before I can provide you with a solid answer; however, in reference to your second question vlan id checking is very important for ensuring that your layer 2 traffic reaches the correct destination. In VTP (vlan trunking protocol) 802.1q vlan ids are added to the frames when sent through trunking ports so that the receiving switch knows what vlan to send the traffic to. (Also keep in mind that if you are trying to talk between different vlans layer 3 connectivity must be enabled. A trunk is solely used to talk to the same vlan on different switches. To go between vlans the traffic will now need to be routed.) Once it makes it to the right vlan it can then be forwarded to the right port. There is a special scenario in 802.1q when the frame does not have a vlan id and that is when the frame is sent from the native vlan.

By default  vlan 1 is the native vlan, but this can be changed in configurations. The native vlan does not attach a vlan id to the frames sent from it. The native vlan must be the same on both the sending and receiving switch ports. If it is not your switch will drop the frames as it will not know how to forward the traffic.

Also in your posted verification I saw the command spanning-tree portfast trunk. Portfast is usually a command saved for access ports and not trunks. Special servers with multiple NICs will support that feature however. Do you know if your Wave 7574 supports a portfast trunk connection?

Finally can you provide me some verification outputs for both the vlans and the ports that the traffic is moving across?