cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS - Benefits of using either legacy or transparant WAFS

d-fillmore
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, I'm implementing a WAAS soultion and had planned on using the legacy WAFS acceleration used in 4.0, but have seen that 4.1 can use transparant CIFS acceleration. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each method?

I'm working to a very strict timetable with the deployment and it's the first one I've done since the training and my Windows/CIFS knowlodge is not great so I'm tempted to use the transparant acceleration but want to know what I'll lose in terms of fucntionality of I opt for the transparant acceleration.

Can I still use prepositioning or print services with transparant mode?

Many Thanks in advance

Dom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dom,

The transparent mode in 4.1 reduces the operational overhead of configuring core and edge services along with adding and maintaining connectivity directives. The big pro with this new mode is that you now have bi-directional CIFS acceleration and can see all the CIFS connections under 139 and 445. They are not inside the 4050 connections between the core and edges.

Transparent mode does not support disconnected mode. You can still use prepositioning and print services with either mode. However, in WAAS 4.1.x for Print Services, there are extra options available with the Centralized Print Optimization AO as well as the Windows on WAAS Virtual Blade where you can run a full blown Windows Print servers.

Good info on the two modes can be found here… http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/configuration/guide/filesvr.html

Hope that helps,

Dan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dom,

The transparent mode in 4.1 reduces the operational overhead of configuring core and edge services along with adding and maintaining connectivity directives. The big pro with this new mode is that you now have bi-directional CIFS acceleration and can see all the CIFS connections under 139 and 445. They are not inside the 4050 connections between the core and edges.

Transparent mode does not support disconnected mode. You can still use prepositioning and print services with either mode. However, in WAAS 4.1.x for Print Services, there are extra options available with the Centralized Print Optimization AO as well as the Windows on WAAS Virtual Blade where you can run a full blown Windows Print servers.

Good info on the two modes can be found here… http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/configuration/guide/filesvr.html

Hope that helps,

Dan

Thanks Dan

Am I right in assuming that the core device and the edge devices are configured the same when using transparant WAFS acceleration - ie I don't need to define one as the core device and the other as the edge device - they should both show up as application accelerators in the CM GUI?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: