cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS - CIFS - File opening is fast, file saving is slow...

dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the middle of a demo on version 4.1.1b. Browsing and opening files is very fast, however when saving a file, especially in MS Word, it takes much longer than expected. It is taking 4 to 5 seconds to open the file (application and all), but about 20 seconds to close and save the file/app. Even small 50Kb files take this long, even if we don't change anything in the file.

We did notice one thing, these saves are going to a DFS share back at the main office. When we perform the same test on a non-DFS share, it only takes about 9 seconds. Could this be the reason? The same test locally on the LAN is sub second. Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

This was my second posting with no response, however I've been working on this issue and I did find something interesting that I am going to post here just in case someone else experiences this. My DFS share issue may have been a fluke, I couldn't recreate it.

Anyway, I turned off the 'Allow Background Saves' option in Word. This decreased the save time from 20 seconds to 8 seconds. Maybe this will help someone else in the future.