cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS - Core services at all locations

CHRIS KALETH
Level 5
Level 5

We are running the latest code of WAAS and what I want to do is have all edge locations act as core as well. We have 10 locations and each location has critical servers that need to communicate (ie. file replication) with each other. I understand this isn't the intended "design" of this product, but has anyone else deployed it this way? Currently, the CIFS optimization is only working from edge to core. I did add core services to the edge device but it still isn't working.

5 Replies 5

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's definitely capable of doing that. Even without the WAFS services, you should still see significant improvements with TFO, DRE and LZ.

If you are running core and edge services on a WAE, you need at least 2 GB of RAM on the box. Then you need to add connectivity statements between the new cores and respective edges that you want to optimize between.

I have the connectivity setup in both directions with the bandwidth and low round trip time configured, We have4 gb memory and its still not working from core to edge. Do I need to configure the core WAAS with edge services?

Yes, you will need to have core and edge running at both ends to take advantage of that.

Strange, I have both edge and core configured as core/edge and the configs are basically identical (each is in its own device group), but still the file copy when initiated from the core side is not optimized. Any other thoughts? I have rebooted all devices as well.

Do you see the connections from the edge to the core in both directions? Do you also see your copy? Is it on port 139 or 445?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: